Europe > Netherlands > Groningen
See: Why hire a car in Groningen ? | Why not? | Ratings | Summary | Comments
(All of these pages will look a lot nicer when they are tidied up later in the spring. Yes, this site is being updated, but the graphics will come later)
Your key questions for any destination:
Do I need a car in Groningen ?
Strictly speaking, there are very few travel destinations anywhere in the world where it's absolutely essential to rent a car in order to see the main points of interest. That's why we give you loads of ratings scales from 1 to 10, rather than simple yes or no answers!
- The need question is generally answered by looking at public transport (transit) options. Is it good enough for visitors who are happy to consider using it?
- How many public transport routes are there, and are they mainly rail or road (bus) based?
- Is public transport fast, frequent, safe, reliable and cheap?
- Does public transport actually take you to the places you'll probably want to see?
Is it worth hiring a car in Groningen ?
This question is usually more about value for money. For this, we look at Groningen car hire options, and consider how rental costs compare with using transit.
How far are you likely to drive anyway, and how much might you expect to spend on fuel, road tolls, parking and any other charges. We compare Groningen with other destinations locally and around the world.
This is obviously much more of an issue if you are planning a longer road trip than it is on a small island.
Should I rent a car in Groningen ?
This is basically a merging of the two questions. Everything else might be about giving certain facts about the costs of car rental or using public transport in Groningen , but answering this question is very much a matter of opinion.
|Please note that Carornocar.com is currently being revised and updated in preparation for the Summer 2021 (northern hemisphere) tourist season. It is expected that some social distancing rules will still apply. For additional Groningen car hire advice, please use the comments form below.|
Groningen is in car rental price band: 4/10 (1 = cheapest car rental location)
General comment - based on price alone, is it worth renting a car in Groningen ?
Sometimes. Car rental is slightly cheaper than global averages.
Can you expect big swings in car rental prices in Groningen between the peak and the off peak season?
5/10 (0 = stable prices)
Driving score: 7/10
Non car score:10/10
(0 = car hire not advised / 10 = rental car essential)
General comment -
Why? Visiting Groningen using a hire car
Why do you need a car in Groningen ?
Why not? Visiting Groningen without a car
Why don't you need a car in Groningen ?
- Bicycle heaven – this city is the world’s greatest cycling utopia. It is easy to hire bicycles at numerous different locations, including the main railway station.
- Bus and train – the Dutch cycling infrastructure network makes it very easy to do a journey of 10 to 15 miles within an hour and barely even having to think about it.
- Even if you don’t feel like cycling further, there is a good network of bus routes which feeds into Groningen station, and a reasonable network of local rail services.
- Direct rail connections – the range of flights to Groningen airport is restricted to a very small handful of European destinations. The chances are that you will arrive from either Amsterdam or Schiphol airport by rail. Allow about 2 1/2 hours for this.
- Museum – the Groningen Museum is quite a notable cultural centre in its own right. It is situated directly across the railway station anyway.
Ratings: How does Groningen compare?
Is it worth hiring a car in Groningen ? TBC
This is based on a rough consideration of the costs of renting a car in Groningen , and how this compares with the costs of using public transport. The answer to this varies hugely from one destination to the next, based on a wide range of factors. It's based on renting a car at the airport (TBC), and driving for an average of 2-3 hours on open roads on most days.
How does this compare if:
You are travelling:
Solo / As couple / small family / larger family / senior couple etc
Does car rental make sense on different budgets?
Do you need to hire a car in Groningen ? TBC
This is based strictly on whether or no we think it's possible to visit Groningen (and the surrounding area) without using a car. Of the three key questions, this one is the most likely to be a "no".
Should you rent a car in Groningen ? TBC
This is a balance of all factors. Remember this is an answer to the question for people who are already asking it. That's why the answer might still be a "yes", even when public transport is good.
See global comparisons
Hiring | Driving | Parking
Trains | Buses | Local travel
Car hire basics:
Public transportation basics:
Regular bus services: YES
Coach (inter-city): YES
High Speed Rail:
Rail type (end stub / through / junction / hub):
As you start ....
Does Groningen airport have a direct rail link?
(Yes - within terminal / adjacent / short walk) (Yes - bus transfer / other) No
Has our advice for Groningen car rental changed over time, or has it been pretty constant?
2017 - 2
2019 - 2
2021 - 2
Average score - 2
Groningen is the world’s cycling capital, and that might make it worthy of a visit for that reason alone, although the difference between Dutch attitudes to cycling and those in just about anywhere else is already clear to see the moment you set foot in the Netherlands.
Yet, just as with any other Dutch city, including Amsterdam or Rotterdam, just because cycling is so easy doesn’t mean that driving is difficult, it just really isn’t worth the expense.
Verdict – no
Do you or don't you need a car in Groningen ?