Should you rent a car in Cancun?
North America > Mexico > Cancun
|Please note that Carornocar.com is currently being revised and updated in preparation for the 2021 tourist season. For additional Cancun car hire advice, please use the comments form below.|
Why? Visiting Cancun using a hire car
Why do you need a car in Cancun ?
- Felxibility to explore the Yucatan on your own terms.
- No rail service in or around Cancun.
Why not? Visiting Cancun without a car
Why don't you need a car in Cancun ?
It’s also worth pointing out that many of these historic sites can also be done as part of a packaged day trip, but they are much harder to do by scheduled bus. Although there are various different scheduled bus services to and from Cancun, there is no rail service in this part of Mexico.
- Most places can still be visited using taxis, local buses, coaches or organised tours.
- No car needed for any beach activities.
- Daily first class buses to Chichén Itzá will take you there in around 3 hours. You can also take cheaper, slower and less comfortable standard bus services or collectivos (large minibuses).
Ratings: How does Cancun compare?
Hiring | Driving | Parking
Trains | Buses | Local travel
Should you rent a car in Cancun? On balance, Cancun is the sort of destination where our advice leans towards getting a hire car, but it’s certainly far from essential – verdict yes.
Do you or don't you need a car in Cancun ?