Europe > Denmark > Billund
|Please note that Carornocar.com is currently being revised and updated in preparation for the Summer 2021 (northern hemisphere) tourist season. It is expected that some social distancing rules will still apply. For additional Billund car hire advice, please use the comments form below.|
Billund is in car rental price band: 2/10 (1 = cheapest car rental location)
General comment - based on price alone, is it worth renting a car in Billund?
Yes. Very cheap car rental by global standards.
Can you expect big swings in car rental prices in Billund between the peak and the off peak season?
5/10 (0 = stable prices)
Driving score: 4/10
Non car score:3/10
(0 = car hire not advised / 10 = rental car essential)
General comment -
Why? Visiting Billund using a hire car
Why do you need a car in Billund ?
- The area around Billund is great fishing territory, and this is best accessed by car.
- Billund has no railway station, so if you don’t rent a car, you will have to take a bus to get anywhere.
- Buses from Billund are generally slow and irregular.
- Legoland might be Billund’s most famous attraction, but that will probably only keep you occupied for a day. Even though there are other summer attractions in Billund, a rental car is going to make it much easier to explore the rest of the Jutland peninsular.
- Rent a car in Billund and drive to other cities in Western Denmark, such as Aalborg, Arhus, Esbjerg and Odense.
- Visit nearby Vejle, and enjoy its stunning modern architecture and shopping facilities, which include a great mix of old and new.
- Rent a car to access the many golf courses which are available around Billund.
- A car is ideal to explore the coastal areas in the West of Jutland, including Ringkobing Fjord and Nissum Fjord – although these fjords are shallow, and nothing like as spectacular as the fjords in Norway.
- Enjoy the white sandy beaches on Denmark’s west coast.
- Visit the Jelling Stones, and learn about the legend of Harald Bluetooth. Bluetooth is strongly identified with the creation of Denmark as a nation state and making warring tribes speak to each other, hence the origin of the Bluetooth mobile networking system.
- Flights to Billund are often much cheaper than flights to Copenhagen, as Billund is a major Ryanair base, and Copenhagen airport has traditionally been associated with high cost airlines, especially as Ryanair no longer operate flights into nearby Malmö, Sweden.
- Billund might not be much of an alternative to Copenhagen for a short weekend break, but flying into Billund as an alternative to Copenhagen and picking up a rental car at Billund airport will certainly give you many more options for exploring Denmark as a whole, rather than just the capital city.
- The drive from Billund to Copenhagen is 261 km, and should take just under three hours. This will include a trip across the fantastic great Belt link. If you are visiting Billund to appreciate Danish toy design, you might aswell appreciate Danish bridge design at the same time.
- Driving in Denmark is generally trouble-free — the roads are well engineered, spotlessly maintained, and traffic jams are rare.
- Hiring a car in Billund and driving to Copenhagen will probably be cheaper than taking a bus (to Vejle) and train, and you won’t have the hassle of changing.
- If you are arriving from outside Europe, and visiting the West of Denmark, save time by avoiding Copenhagen airport and flying to Billund via Amsterdam with KLM.
- English is widely spoken, so you should not have a problem with road signs or getting directions.
Why not? Visiting Billund without a car
Why don't you need a car in Billund ?
- You are still in Denmark. Public transport is well integrated, walking and cycling is a pleasure!
- There is no need at all to hire a car just to visit Legoland — Billund airport was primarily built to serve the Lego company, and is just a short bus or taxi ride from Legoland.
- Easy bus connections are available to nearby Vejle from both Billund town centre and Billund airport, taking around 45 minutes. Cost (as of November 2009) 65 Danish kroner (approximately £9).
- From Vejle, regular trains are available to Odense and Copenhagen, and also up to Arhus and Aalborg.
- Why not spend a little bit of time in Billund itself, and see how a toy has influenced the real life town. Billund is easily walkable.
- As is the case throughout Scandinavia, there are plenty of cycle paths to explore radiating out from Billund.
- If you are interested in city environments, take the bus & train to Odense, and explore the famous system of linked parks that the city offers. This is naturally best done on foot or better still on a bike – so leave the hire car at the airport.
Ratings: How does Billund compare?
Is it worth hiring a car in Billund? TBC
This is based on a rough consideration of the costs of renting a car in Billund, and how this compares with the costs of using public transport. The answer to this varies hugely from one destination to the next, based on a wide range of factors. It's based on renting a car at the airport (TBC), and driving for an average of 2-3 hours on open roads on most days.
How does this compare if:
You are travelling:
Solo / As couple / small family / larger family / senior couple etc
Does car rental make sense on different budgets?
Do you need to hire a car in Billund? TBC
This is based strictly on whether or no we think it's possible to visit Billund (and the surrounding area) without using a car. Of the three key questions, this one is the most likely to be a "no".
Should you rent a car in Billund? TBC
This is a balance of all factors. Remember this is an answer to the question for people who are already asking it. That's why the answer might still be a "yes", even when public transport is good.
See global comparisons
Hiring | Driving | Parking
Trains | Buses | Local travel
Car hire basics:
Public transportation basics:
Regular bus services: YES
Coach (inter-city): YES
High Speed Rail:
Rail type (end stub / through / junction / hub):
As you start ....
Does Billund airport have a direct rail link?
(Yes - within terminal / adjacent / short walk) (Yes - bus transfer / other) No
Has our advice for Billund car rental changed over time, or has it been pretty constant?
2017 - 7
2019 - 8
2021 - 8
Average score - 8
Do you or don't you need a car in Billund ?