Asia > India > Agra
|Please note that Carornocar.com is currently being revised and updated in preparation for the Summer 2021 (northern hemisphere) tourist season. It is expected that some social distancing rules will still apply. For additional Agra car hire advice, please use the comments form below.|
Agra is in car rental price band: 0/10 (1 = cheapest car rental location)
General comment - based on price alone, is it worth renting a car in Agra?
No. No online bookable car hire.
Can you expect big swings in car rental prices in Agra between the peak and the off peak season?
0/10 (0 = stable prices)
Driving score: 1/10
Non car score:4/10
(0 = car hire not advised / 10 = rental car essential)
General comment -
Our advice has remained the same since we first looked at the city.
The city of Agra is undoubtedly most famous for being the location of the Taj Mahal, one of the world’s most iconic and heavily photographed tourist destinations. Needless to say, this is a place which is perfectly well served by train, bus and other local transport services.
Whether you arrive into Agra by train, by plane or by bus, there are numerous local transport options for onward transfer in order to visit the Taj Mahal. The main railway station is situated adjacent to the famous Agra Fort, and from here, the Taj Mahal complex is just over 1km / less than a mile away.
It would be a shame to come this far, and to only have time for the Taj Mahal itself, and perhaps a brief glance at Agra Fort. There is still a great deal to see nearby, but regardless of how long you have here, and what else you manage to visit, a hire car is unlikely to be much help:
- Fatehpur Sikri – situated around 45 minutes away from Agra by road, or just over one hour by train is the stunning but haunting abandoned for complex of Fatehpur Sikri.
- Bharatpur – situated on the busy tourist route between Agra and Jaipur is the historic palace of Lohagrarh, itself surrounded by it’s own walled fort set within a moat. Bharatpur is also the gateway to the Keoladeo National Park, known for its incredible variety of migratory birds. The park gate is right on the edge of Bharatpur, a city which is compact and easy enough to walk around, although you may prefer to take a minibus or taxi to the park.
Either way, a hire car here just really isn’t going to be a huge amount of use.
Why? Visiting Agra using a hire car
Why do you need a car in Agra ?
- Very few reasons to rent a hire car in Agra!
Why not? Visiting Agra without a car
Why don't you need a car in Agra ?
- All of the main attractions are a short distance from public transport.
- Buses and taxis are widely available and cheap.
- Trains will take you right to the Agra Fort.
- Taj Mahal is close to Agra Fort railway stations.
- Excursions beyond Agra by rail.
- Poor state of local roads.
- Very limited car hire availability.
Ratings: How does Agra compare?
Is it worth hiring a car in Agra? TBC
This is based on a rough consideration of the costs of renting a car in Agra, and how this compares with the costs of using public transport. The answer to this varies hugely from one destination to the next, based on a wide range of factors. It's based on renting a car at the airport (TBC), and driving for an average of 2-3 hours on open roads on most days.
How does this compare if:
You are travelling:
Solo / As couple / small family / larger family / senior couple etc
Does car rental make sense on different budgets?
Do you need to hire a car in Agra? TBC
This is based strictly on whether or no we think it's possible to visit Agra (and the surrounding area) without using a car. Of the three key questions, this one is the most likely to be a "no".
Should you rent a car in Agra? TBC
This is a balance of all factors. Remember this is an answer to the question for people who are already asking it. That's why the answer might still be a "yes", even when public transport is good.
See global comparisons
Hiring | Driving | Parking
Trains | Buses | Local travel
Car hire basics:
Public transportation basics:
Regular bus services: YES
Coach (inter-city): YES
High Speed Rail:
Rail type (end stub / through / junction / hub):
As you start ....
Does Agra airport have a direct rail link?
(Yes - within terminal / adjacent / short walk) (Yes - bus transfer / other) No
Has our advice for Agra car rental changed over time, or has it been pretty constant?
2017 - 1
2019 - 1
2021 - 1
Average score - 1
Do I need a car in Agra? The car hire market in India is not widely developed, and only a few of the major international players are represented here.
Therefore, there is little reason to recommend hiring a car in Agra.
Do you or don't you need a car in Agra ?