North America > Mexico > Acapulco
|Please note that Carornocar.com is currently being revised and updated in preparation for the Summer 2021 (northern hemisphere) tourist season. It is expected that some social distancing rules will still apply. For additional Acapulco car hire advice, please use the comments form below.|
Acapulco is in car rental price band: 5/10 (1 = cheapest car rental location)
General comment - based on price alone, is it worth renting a car in Acapulco?
Sometimes. Economy rental prices are average by global standards.
Can you expect big swings in car rental prices in Acapulco between the peak and the off peak season?
5/10 (0 = stable prices)
Driving score: 3/10
Non car score:3/10
(0 = car hire not advised / 10 = rental car essential)
General comment -
- Acapulco is a relatively densely packed city, constrained by hillsides to the east and the coast to the west, and all of the major resorts are actually relatively close to each other. There’s a perfectly adequate bus service serving Acapulco, and taxis are plentiful and relatively cheap. There are also plenty of activities based around the beach and waterfront environment, so driving isn’t really necessary.
Why? Visiting Acapulco using a hire car
Why do you need a car in Acapulco ?
Why do you need to rent a car in Acapulco?
- Public transport is poor outside of the city.
- No trains or trams of any kind – not within the city, and not to other cities.
Venturing inland from Acapulco
- Acapulco is a good starting point for Mexican West Coast road trip.
- For visitors who want to start exploring further afield and who want to take a road trip inland, then a hire car becomes a lot more useful.
- Scheduled coach services are available, but they are primarily aimed at providing intercity service between major urban areas, rather than for touring.
Why not? Visiting Acapulco without a car
Why don't you need a car in Acapulco ?
- For all the beach and resort stuff, a hire car is never really going to come into the equation – it’s much better just to stick to buses, walking and taxis.
- Plenty to do within the city, especially around the beaches.
- No real need for a hire car if doing planned excursions.
Ratings: How does Acapulco compare?
Is it worth hiring a car in Acapulco? TBC
This is based on a rough consideration of the costs of renting a car in Acapulco, and how this compares with the costs of using public transport. The answer to this varies hugely from one destination to the next, based on a wide range of factors. It's based on renting a car at the airport (TBC), and driving for an average of 2-3 hours on open roads on most days.
How does this compare if:
You are travelling:
Solo / As couple / small family / larger family / senior couple etc
Does car rental make sense on different budgets?
Do you need to hire a car in Acapulco? TBC
This is based strictly on whether or no we think it's possible to visit Acapulco (and the surrounding area) without using a car. Of the three key questions, this one is the most likely to be a "no".
Should you rent a car in Acapulco? TBC
This is a balance of all factors. Remember this is an answer to the question for people who are already asking it. That's why the answer might still be a "yes", even when public transport is good.
See global comparisons
Hiring | Driving | Parking
Trains | Buses | Local travel
Car hire basics:
Public transportation basics:
Regular bus services: YES
Coach (inter-city): YES
High Speed Rail:
Rail type (end stub / through / junction / hub):
As you start ....
Does Acapulco airport have a direct rail link?
(Yes - within terminal / adjacent / short walk) (Yes - bus transfer / other) No
Has our advice for Acapulco car rental changed over time, or has it been pretty constant?
2017 - 2
2019 - 4
2021 - 3
Average score - 3
Do you need a car in Acapulco? On balance, our Acapulco car hire advice is that there isn’t really any need to get a rental car here. Acapulco is the type of destination where there’s a lot more going on within the city than there is around it. If you do choose to hire a car in Acapulco, you might prefer to focus on a single day rental. You should pick up and return your car in resort, rather than at the airport. Acapulco car hire tends to be reasonably comparable in value to other coastal resort destinations in Mexico.
Do you or don't you need a car in Acapulco ?